<$BlogRSDUrl$>

random thoughts from a member of the yuppie technocrati

Monday, July 26, 2004

Seattle, visits, summertime! 

Busy times.

First Seattle! - i even wrote down some stuff that i wanted to blog about my trip but things have been crazy!

Tuesday - July 13th - the flight was fine - i even got in a bit early which was lucky since every other Alaska Air flight to Seattle that day was late and the one I was supposed to be on would have gotten in after 1am. Getting to the airport was ok surprisingly. Robin and I had a beer, chatted and then went to bed.

Wednesday - I went with Robin to UW cause she had 2 classes. I walked her to class, wandered around the campus a bit (so big!)  hung out in a coffee shop, paid some bills (exciting i know) and read the paper during her first class. Then we had an early lunch - i had an extremely delicious bean soup. I went with her to her intro microeconomic class which was pretty hilarious for me esp. the farce of trying to explain the concept of elasticity. After the class we caught a bus to Capitol Hill - one of the "hip" neighborhoods - had some more coffee. From there we walked over to downtown. Part of the way there was this very boisterous group of a cappella singers walking behind us which was actually kindof creepy. Downtown we ate some gyros and went to the new library - seems like a really nice place to work and read very very cool.  We were very tired from not getting that much sleep and walking all over Seattle so seeing the bus tunnel for the first time just about blew my mind. This was just one of my experiences in Seattle that makes me think of the city as kind of flaky. They started to build a subway but then that was too much commitment. We went back to Robin's parent's house, had a nice dinner with her mother, watched an episode of Six Feet Under, read a little, then went to sleep.

Thursday I slept in and caught a ride into Seattle with Robin's mother, met up with R. after her classes, ate some vegetarian concoction and went music shopping on Fremont at Sonic Boom I got some vinyl and a bunch of CDs - since i spent over 100$ I got a cute free T-shirt, hot pink!
After music shopping we had Indian/Himalayan/Tibetan food in the U district then went to a dance exhibit at the art gallery on campus. The dance performance we actually went to see was more like performance art and not that interesting to watch - it involved a rope net with clothes strung on it and the "dancers" getting into the clothes and dangling  from them. Yeah... But that night we rented "The Company" which is almost certainly the best movie about dance ever - it very accurately captured the dancer culture as i've experienced it - and had some funny/amazing scenes.

OK more later - i gotta go entertain my bro who is staying with me!

listening to: Camera Obscura - Underacheivers Please Try Harder
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?